Tuesday 9 February 2010

The Write Rhythm

Take an idea, give it a few words to make it look good, spin it around until all the world is watching and then throw it out to see who catches it. That's how The Write Rhythm first took shape. A conversation over a coffee about the use of a semi colon, a scratch of the head while marking student essays and a ponder about the future of grammar. Would David Cameron do any more for the poor old comma than the Labour Party have done, squeezing thoughts into structures and out the other side to an A* and bypassing the use of punctuation? What language do these kids want to speak? If....(leap into void) they can rap like Chipmunk... (freefall), what would happen if the language that they do understand could teach them the basics? If Michael Jackson said more about the use of a colon than any teacher ever could, perhaps dance could teach kids the rhythm of language.

Fast forward... PG Cert special study...what could I research that would benefit my students, push debates on, get me a place on posh conferences and a career in academia? What would stop me scratching my head while marking? What could set my students free?  Is anyone else researching this?  Have I chanced upon a new hypothesis?

No comments:

Post a Comment